Our WCR Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers represent the most widely used transport for the transfer of heat in industrial process applications.
What are Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers used for?
Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers are utilised for cooling process fluids such as;
- Water soluble oil solutions in quenching tanks
- Closed circuit cooling of electrical equipment that uses demineralised water
Where are Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers used?
These heat exchangers are regularly used for the transfer of heat in industrial process applications. For instance, they can be used in applications such as;
- Process liquid and gas cooling
- Process of refrigerant vapour or steam condensing
- Process liquid, steam or refrigerant evaporation
- Process heat removal and preheating of feed water
- Thermal energy conservation efforts and heat recovery
- Compressor, turbine and engine cooling, oil and jacket water
- Hydraulic and lube oil cooling
- Other industrial applications
How does a Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger work?
In a Shell and Tube Exchanger, the shell side will hold the process fluid. Similarly, the tube side will hold water/ethylene glycol from a refrigeration unit.
However, unlike a Plate Heat Exchanger, a Shell and Tube Exchanger works well where there is a large temperature difference between the two fluids.
They can transfer considerable amounts of heat. Above all, the design provides a large amount of surface area. In addition, they take up limited floor space, volume and weight. In addition, they have a relatively low cost and can be serviced.
We recommend Shell & Tube Exchangers for processes holding corrosive fluids or gasses. For instance, they can be used to condense gas or reclaim heat from the exhaust gas. Likewise, they can be used in high-pressure applications over 400 psi. (maximum 750 psi).
These products have been in use for a long time (over 150 years). As a result, thermal technologies and manufacturing methods have been refined and applied by many modern manufacturers.
What materials are used?
WCR UK supply Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers in many types of materials.
For instance, some of the materials available:
- TUBE: Stainless Steel, Titanium, and Copper Standard
- SHELL: Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel Standard
- Other materials are available upon request
What sizes are available?
Standard Shell & Tube Product Range:
- 2″ – 24″ in. (5 – 60 cm) Fixed-Tube bundles
- 8″ – 20″ in. (20 – 50 cm) Straight-Tube (removable) bundles
- 3″ – 8″ in. (7 – 20 cm) U-Tube fixed and removable tube bundles
Additionally, we’re able to design units as large as 6 feet (180 cm) in diameter and 20 feet (6 m) in length. These sizes are specifically designed for large scale heat transfer demands.
Please Contact one of our engineers who will assist your selection of heat exchanger type, material, sizing, and design.