Plate Heat Exchanger Cleaning Services
WCR UK's plate heat exchanger cleaning process can help extend equipment life and reduce maintenance costs by removing harmful contaminants and restoring peak performance to your plate heat exchanger system.
Reduce Downtime, and Improve Efficiency with our Industry Leading Plate Heat Exchanger Cleaning Services
Plate Heat exchangers (PHEs or Plate and Frame Heat Exchangers) are critical in many industries and various applications, and their efficiency can directly impact your production costs.
Over time, PHEs can become fouled by contaminants such as loose debris, scale, rust, oil, and other waste. This can lead to a loss in efficiency and increased maintenance costs.
Keeping your systems as efficient as possible will improve heat transfer and thermal efficiency, saving you money.
At WCR UK, we invented the plate heat exchanger cleaning process that other companies imitated. We built our reputation by utilising select cleansing methods for different applications, using the most advanced equipment on the market to remove all contaminants from your system, and returning the heat exchanger specifications to optimal performance.
Our team of experts is dedicated to providing quality service at competitive rates. Get in touch to find out more.
Get a Quote for Plate Heat Exchanger Cleaning Today.
Fill out the form or call 01246 856 396, and a member of our team will get back to you.
Keep Your Plate Heat Exchanger Running at Peak Performance
Plate and frame heat exchanger cleaning and servicing heat exchangers are our specialities. Our experience and the latest technology and equipment mean we can clean your heat exchanger quickly and effectively with minimal downtime.
Fouling or ageing can result in degraded heat exchanger performance and additional operating and energy costs to compensate for the difference in target temperature. Therefore, cleaning and maintaining the heat exchanger is crucial to keep them running efficiently. Understanding the basics of plate heat exchanger servicing will help you identify potential issues.
Heat Exchanger Plate Cleaning
Heat exchanger cleaning can be done in various tried and tested ways, including;
Mechanical cleaning – Mechanical cleaning (on-site or off-site) can be done with a soft brush with synthetic bristles, not steel bristles, and running water, often using high-pressure water jetting, with care to not damage anything.
Chemical cleaning – this process includes specially developed non-toxic cleaning solutions that safeguard gasket, glue and heat transfer surfaces (never use hydrochloric acid)
Clean-In-Place (CIP) – CIP on-site cleaning enables quick and easy inline cleaning without totally dismantling and removing the heat exchanger equipment.
Some of the CIP cleaning processes include high-pressure cleaning and other processes. CIP is great for reducing downtime and an effective way to clean plate heat exchangers.
Learn more about how to keep your PHE running at peak performance.
Inspection and Testing for Heat Exchanger Maintenance and Repair
Regular inspection and testing are essential for maintaining and keeping your equipment running optimally and maintaining heat transfer efficiency. At WCR UK, we offer a comprehensive range of inspection and testing services, including dye penetrant, ultrasonic, and pressure testing.
Why Do Plate Heat Exchangers Need Cleaning?
Plate and Frame Heat Exchangers need to be cleaned for several reasons, the main one being to prevent fouling.
Fouling is the accumulation of unwanted material on heat transfer surfaces, degrading heat exchanger performance and leading to increased costs or production loss.
To keep the heat exchanger in good condition, regular maintenance is required. In addition to high-pressure cleaning of the plates, periodically check the sealing surfaces, gaskets, and plate pack fastening bolts for wear and tear. Read more about the basics of plate heat exchanger servicing.
Some of the Common Causes of Fouling Include:
- Debris – remove loose debris like small pieces of dirt, grit or other materials that can become lodged in the heat exchanger and block the flow
- Scale – scale can build up on heat exchanger plates and impede heat transfer. Scaling is a common fouling type caused by high carbonate concentrations in the heat exchanger’s cooling water. It is removed either by manual or chemical cleaning.
- Rust – as metal corrodes, it can flake off and cause heat exchanger fouling.
- Particulate fouling, increasing the flow velocity, may eliminate fouling.
- Product or chemical deposits on heat-transfer surfaces weaken an exchanger’s temperature transfer and must be cleaned regularly to maintain high performance and prevent processing disruption.
- Biological fouling describes the growth of slime and organic matter
Selecting the right chemicals for cleaning PHEs is vital to ensure proper cleaning and to avoid damaging exchanger components.
What is Involved in Cleaning a Plate Heat Exchanger?
Our highly trained and experienced engineers do WCR UK’s plate heat exchanger cleaning services.
We use the latest technology and equipment to clean your Plate and Frame Heat exchangers quickly, effectively and with minimal disruption.
Our methods are safe for all heat exchangers, including those with delicate materials such as aluminium.
We also offer a clean-in-place (CIP) service, enabling quick and easy inline cleaning without needing dismantling.
Cleaning Plate and Frame Heat exchangers typically include the following steps (always follow the manufacturer’s instructions);
How to Clean a Plate Heat Exchanger
- Drain fluids, remove the heat exchanger from service (generally done with isolation valves), and visually inspect it for damage.
- Remove the end covers, gaskets, heat exchanger tubes, and other removable parts.
- Inspect all parts for wear and tear and clean or replace them as necessary.
- Inspect the plates for damage and clean them if necessary.
- Clean the plates with a soft brush and running water, not damaging any components.
- If the plates are dirty, they can be soaked in cleaning agents to loosen the deposits, and a pressure washer can be used to rinse them off and removes build-up.
- An acidic cleaning liquid with a phosphoric acid base specifically designed to remove metallic oxides, rust, calcium carbonate and other inorganic materials.
- Reassemble, ensuring all gaskets and seals are in good condition.
- Start up and test the heat exchanger to ensure it is working.
Tips to Prevent Fouling and the Need for Regular Cleaning
There are many ways you can prevent fouling, including:
- Keeping the heat exchanger clean may seem obvious, but ensuring they are cleaned regularly and using a quality cleaner will help prevent fouling.
- Installing pre-filters before the heat exchanger can help to remove particulates that could cause fouling.
- Using corrosion-resistant materials will help to prevent corrosion.
- Monitoring and controlling the temperature and pH level of the fluid going into the heat exchanger can help to prevent scale build-up. Scaling is a common fouling type caused by high carbonate concentrations in the heat exchanger’s cooling water. Its removal is either by manual or chemical cleaning, comprising calcium carbonate.
- Adding disinfectants to the fluid going into the heat exchanger can help to prevent biological fouling.
- Regularly checking and cleaning the heat exchanger’s cooling water system can help to prevent fouling.
Following these tips can help extend your equipment’s life and prevent potential issues.
Heat Exchanger Cleaning Service Near You
If you are looking for a reliable and professional heat exchanger cleaning service, look no further than WCR UK. Our team of experienced engineers and technicians provides comprehensive cleaning solutions for all types and sizes of plate heat exchangers.
We use advanced cleaning techniques and equipment to remove scale, deposits, and other contaminants from your heat exchanger, ensuring peak performance and energy efficiency.
Don’t let a fouled and dirty heat exchanger compromise your business operations. Contact WCR UK today to learn more about our plate heat exchanger cleaning services and schedule your appointment with our team.
Manufacturers We Work With
At WCR UK Ltd, we recognise the significance of dependable heat exchangers. That’s why we provide a wide range of top-quality replacement parts for all major heat exchanger manufacturers, including plates, gaskets, re-gasketing and other components.
With over 20 years of experience servicing and repairing these systems, we have the expertise to keep your equipment operating at its best. Whether you need to replace a worn-out gasket or upgrade to a more efficient heat exchanger, we have the products and knowledge to ensure your system maintains peak performance.
- Alfa Laval
- AGC Heat Transfer
- API Schmidt-Bretten
- Bell & Gossett
- Tetra Pak
- UK Exchangers
Trusted by Clients for Quality Plate Heat Exchanger Cleaning
At WCR UK, we work with all kinds of clients, big and small, from air conditioning and cooling systems, food and beverage and milk pasteurisation processes and more to ensure plate heat exchangers are running efficiently.
Enquire About Plate Heat Exchanger Cleaning
Not sure what gaskets you need? Why give us a call? We are happy to discuss your requirements and get your PHE back up and running.
Call us on 01246 856 396 to get the ball rolling today.